The Reviews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Review and read others' reviews - about movies, TV-series, books, music albums, concerts, games - to give and get advice on what's considered good or bad.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Food

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

Food       Empty
PostSubject: Food    Food       EmptyTue Dec 02, 2014 12:14 am

Food! Something you've been served or have cooked yourself. How did it Taste? Would you recommend it? Where did you eat it? What could be made diferently?

Razz
Back to top Go down
https://thereviews.forumotion.com
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

Food       Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food    Food       EmptyTue Feb 10, 2015 9:35 pm

I like to Cook some random things without too much looks at the recipe, I thought I'd share those things with you...

The food of today:

Fussili pasta with shrimp sauce:
Boil the pasta....

Slice onion and garlic and fry it in canola oil. Add the shrimps. Add some whip Cream (I used some made of oats) and a couple of spoons of flour. Colour it with tumeric and spice it with White pepper and some White wine. Mix it toghether with the pasta.

Simple and fast. Tastes perfectly fine.

The food of yesterday:

Warm sandwich cake bread sandwich. It was originally meant to be the bread of a smörgåstårta (Cold sandwich cake), but as the bread got undercooked in the oven I gave that idea up and fried the bread in the pan with canola oil until it got crisp. Add whatever you want, I made two versions:

Cheese and ham and egg.

Cheese, chicken, egg, onion.

The bread:
6 dl flour
4 dl water
50 g jeast

Mix it. Let swallow for 30 mins. Add some flour. Let swallow another 30 mins. Bake in oven 45 min, 250 degrees C.
Back to top Go down
Lahm
Lahm

Food       Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food    Food       EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 12:21 am

That pasta recipe sounds sooo yummy! I've had my pasta share for the week, so won't be doing it for now, but I'll certainly try it some day.

I'll add an easy and really nice little recipe I found online last weekend. It's one of those mug cakes, I wouldn't believe they actually taste good!

You need:

- Sugar (4 tbsp)
- Cocoa Powder (2 or 3 tbsp)
- Flour (4 tbsp)
- Baking yeast powder (1 tbsp - add more or less depending on the sponginess desired!)
- Eggs (1)
- Milk (3 tbsp)
- Vegetal oil (3 tbsp) - I made mine with soft olive oil and came out nice, I guess butter could do the trick too
- OPTIONAL --> Cinnamon
- OPTIONAL --> Toppings (cream, chocolate, sugar... or just nothing, they're ok the way they are)

So basically just mix everything! It's better if you do solids and "liquids", and then start adding the liquids little by little to the solid powder mixture. Stir until you get a black thingy that is slightly more viscous than honey (depending on the honey too I guess). If it is too dense just add a little more milk. If it's not honey-like at all and runs like water add some more flour + cocoa.

Then just add that to a mug of your choice. DO NOT fill up the mug, pour enough to get the mug half-full. Don't go beyond that or you'll be dealing with a disaster in your microwave oven! Also make sure you're mug is microwave-proof!

Cook all this 2 minutes at max power (don't go over 1000W I guess).

This recipe allows you to make 2 MUG CAKES!! I put the quantities double what it would be needed for a single mug since that way you don't have to throw away half an egg.

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

Food       Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food    Food       EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 9:42 am

^will try and let you know how it went!

Food of yesterday:

2-3 clyfts of garlic, chop them and warm them up in a pan. Add lentils (380 grams) and tomato pasta sauce with basil and some cayenne pepper. Add some pepper, salt, other herbs such as persil. Eat with pasta. All ecological. About 4 portions.

Back to top Go down
Lahm
Lahm

Food       Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food    Food       EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 9:53 am

RockRosen wrote:
^will try and let you know how it went!

Food of yesterday:

2-3 clyfts of garlic, chop them and warm them up in a pan. Add lentils (380 grams) and tomato pasta sauce with basil and some cayenne pepper. Add some pepper, salt, other herbs such as persil. Eat with pasta. All ecological. About 4 portions.

Good luck then, hope you like it! Just a silly question but do you put the lentils in water before or you use a can of "already cooked" lentils. I might try that one out since my sister is a vegan.
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

Food       Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food    Food       EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 9:59 am

Ive used both, but this time already cooked so no water. If you boil them first just get rid of the water. I'm obviously neither a vegan or vegetarian as I eat meat but I do eat vegetarian and vegan meals more and more often, so I'll definately put some more vegan recipes up here (with pictures if you want), and I'd be thrilled if you know some things she usually eats.

She eat quorn and soy mince? Have som recies including that. And some great raw food desserts!
Back to top Go down
Lahm
Lahm

Food       Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food    Food       EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 4:11 pm

RockRosen wrote:
Ive used both, but this time already cooked so no water. If you boil them first just get rid of the water. I'm obviously neither a vegan or vegetarian as I eat meat but I do eat vegetarian and vegan meals more and more often, so I'll definately put some more vegan recipes up here (with pictures if you want), and I'd be thrilled if you know some things she usually eats.

She eat quorn and soy mince? Have som recies including that. And some great raw food desserts!

I'm not sure about those, I'll be heading to my parents' house in a few weeks and I'll ask her, I'll show her this recipe too (or even better, show my mother since she's the one doing all the cooking there). Thanks for that recipe and also for offering some more!
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

Food       Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food    Food       EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Alright. Well I had the same thing today as I had yesterday so nothing new for today anyway..
Back to top Go down
Cheavy
Cheavy

Food       Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food    Food       EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 1:57 am

I made a Mexican pumpkin lasagna last night. It was the second time I made it this week; the second time better than the first. It's packed with a lot of ingredients, and it tasted and smelled absolutely delicious. Paired with a tossed salad on the side, it was a complete meal Smile

Here's what you need to get started:

- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup kidney beans (mashed)
- 3/4 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt

^ Brown the meat, then add those ingredients up there.

Next ingredients you need:

- 1/2 cup red pepper
- 1/2 cup green pepper
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 6 oz shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- 6 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 8 inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup salsa

^ Have all that set up in separate containers

How to build:

Layer 4 to 5 tortillas on bottom of a 13x9 pan. Overlap them so that they come up the sides of the pan. I cut one up so that it covers every inch on the bottom of the pan.
Next, spread half of the turkey/pumpkin mix over the tortillas. Then spread half of the sour cream over that. Then top that with 1 cup of cheddar and half the chopped peppers.
Cover with two more tortillas and spread the remaining turkey mixture on top, along with the rest of the sour cream and 1 cup of Monterrey jack cheese and the remaining peppers.
Top the lasagna with the remaining tortillas and then spoon the salsa over the top. Last thing, put the rest of the two cheeses on top.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until that cheese is good and browned.

I got this recipe from, "Pumpkin: A super food for all 12 months of the year" by Dee Dee Stovel. Making it a second time, I doubled the spice and left out the hot sauce, jalapenos and cilantro. I thought the turkey mixture was dull in flavor hence why I doubled the spice, but I didn't want so much heat which is why I omitted the jalapenos and hot sauce. Cilantro was left out, well, because I didn't have any. I used a couple more tortillas on the second time for extra coverage.
The quantities I provided in this post are what I used on my second attempt, which I thought was an improvement. It can be involved to make a lasagna, so I give it a 3 out of 5 as far as making this goes. 5 being difficult and involved. But I find cooking this goes much better when all your ingredients are cut, measured and shredded before you set out to make this.
I'm sure I will be making this again. Probably not for a third time this week, but it's going in my collection of favorites, so I thought it was worth a share Smile
Back to top Go down
Lahm
Lahm

Food       Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food    Food       EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 1:17 pm

Wow that's one kind of lasagna I had never even think of making! I've heard about potato/cucumber slices as substitute for the "pasta" part of the lasagna, but never mexican tortillas. Aren't these a little fluffy? Do they hold up the lasagna well in place. True thing is, I don't think here in Spain we get real mexican tortillas, not that common here. We have something closer to turkish durum bread, and use that for our mexican treats hehehe.

Also turkey ground meat, is that common up there? I don't think I've ever seen that around here either. I'm so curious about this recipe now, I'd like to try it out some day for sure. Now I want to make some cannelloni or something, so hungry!
Back to top Go down
Cheavy
Cheavy

Food       Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food    Food       EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 7:18 pm

The flour tortillas I used are pretty thin actually. And all though they do get mushier than regular lasagna noodles, they do hold up pretty well. I don't know how it compares to that turkish durum bread you mention, but specifically I used these:

Food       Super-soft-flour-fajita-20ct  

Ground turkey is common here. Not so much as ground beef and no where near as fatty, but I actually like the lean aspect of ground turkey, and it tastes just fine in this lasagna. Do try it one day!
Back to top Go down
Lahm
Lahm

Food       Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food    Food       EmptyFri Apr 07, 2017 11:14 am

That is exactly what we have around here, a smaller version of the durum bread. I know it is not the same but whatever, taste similar so who cares hahaha. Also they are called "mexican tortillas" or "mexican tortitas", since the word tortilla is already taken here (means omelette). And I'll keep an eye open for that ground turkey, but I could swear I haven't seen it ever in my life. We are all about pork and beef around here for our ground meat needs.
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

Food       Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food    Food       EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 10:22 pm

Been hooked on sushi lately (read past few months). So have been making sushi-inspired sandwiches quite a lot:

- A slice of bread.
- Butter
- creme fraiche
- wasabi paste
- A slice of cold smoked salmon
- Some chopped spring onions
- Sprinkle some light soy
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top

Yum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content