The Reviews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Review and read others' reviews - about movies, TV-series, books, music albums, concerts, games - to give and get advice on what's considered good or bad.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hounds by Smashing Satellites

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cheavy
Cheavy

Hounds by Smashing Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Hounds by Smashing Satellites   Hounds by Smashing Satellites EmptyTue Sep 02, 2014 2:09 am

This is a relatively new band formed by lead singer Salvatore Costa. And you might recognize that name if you are familiar with My Darkest Days. The song Hounds is from their upcoming EP Sonicaluzion.

But is it really just another crappy pop rock song? Or something different all together?

First of all, if you're expecting a similar dirty rock sound because the guy was from My Darkest Days, well, don't. Stop right there. It is not My Darkest Days and you shouldn't expect it to be. I mean, how boring and terrible would it be if it sounded like the same thing? Exactly. Moving on..

The best way to describe Hounds is with one word; catchy. It hooks you with these kinda dark, but playful beats. And it has this 80s hipster vibe that is just somehow refreshing. I've given it many listens, liking it each more, the pre-chorus being my favorite part just with how the drums get powerful, the singer's voice changes, and the guitars flow with strong and short warm tones.

The lyrics, nothing that profound, but who says it has to be? It's pretty much meant to be exactly what it is; provocatively cute (Watch colorful video for extra clues) more than anything else with the metaphor being, well, you can guess.

I give it 7.5 out of 10 and I will definitely be giving their EP a listen when it comes out at the end of September.

Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Hounds by Smashing Satellites   Hounds by Smashing Satellites EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 12:07 am

Woah I've missed this thread! Gonna check it out tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
https://thereviews.forumotion.com
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Hounds by Smashing Satellites   Hounds by Smashing Satellites EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 4:17 pm

Hwm, I gave it a few listens but I couldn't really get myself to enjoy the listen. Yes it had catchy bits but overall it kept reminding me of 90s Backstreet Boys trying something new... The almost rapping, muffed vocals just didn't reach through that layer to me.
Back to top Go down
Cheavy
Cheavy

PostSubject: Re: Hounds by Smashing Satellites   Hounds by Smashing Satellites EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 2:03 am

..Funnily enough, I didn't notice that backstreet boy vibe, but now that you mention it...

I've since listened to their five song EP. I'll put the other four songs here just to put 'em here. Most notably, as a whole, I liked the different instruments used. Feels more...orchestral(?) in a spacey way.

SonicAluzion A-Side (EP):
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Hounds by Smashing Satellites   Hounds by Smashing Satellites EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 3:32 pm

yeah as you say the songs do sound spacey dramatical in a way and i don't mind the music at all, quite like it, but his boy band vocals .... Makes me not appreciate it as much as i would like it to. In fact it's even making me turn it off..
Back to top Go down
Cheavy
Cheavy

PostSubject: Re: Hounds by Smashing Satellites   Hounds by Smashing Satellites EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 5:45 pm

Heh, yes; that just proves how much vocals play a big part in music, doesn't it? It is very much its own instrument and sound, and can really make or break the experience for one.
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Hounds by Smashing Satellites   Hounds by Smashing Satellites EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 10:19 pm

^That's true.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hounds by Smashing Satellites   Hounds by Smashing Satellites Empty

Back to top Go down

Hounds by Smashing Satellites
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Reviews :: Reviews :: Music :: Singles-
Jump to: