The Reviews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Review and read others' reviews - about movies, TV-series, books, music albums, concerts, games - to give and get advice on what's considered good or bad.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Top Ten Rock Ballads

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

Top Ten Rock Ballads Empty
PostSubject: Top Ten Rock Ballads   Top Ten Rock Ballads EmptyFri Aug 08, 2014 11:44 pm

Top Ten Rock Ballads

When doesn't a rock ballad fit nicely? Share your golden tones!

Top Ten Rock Ballads Artworks-000008696511-48tw04-crop
Back to top Go down
https://thereviews.forumotion.com
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Rock Ballads   Top Ten Rock Ballads EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 12:10 am

Geez, this is difficult. Specially to place them in order but here goes some given songs (this should be a top 100 list)...

1. The show must go on (Queen)
2. Purple Rain (Prince)
3. Dreamer (Ozzy)
4. Imagine (Lennon)
5. Wicked game (Chris Isaak)
6. Iris (Goo Goo Dolls)
7. Stairway to heaven (Zeppelin)
8. (Everything I do) I do it for you (Bryan Adams)
9. Is this love (Whitesnake)
10. (I just died) In your arms tonight (Cutting Crew)

There's so many more that I wanted to squeeze in there hwm...
like this one:

Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Rock Ballads   Top Ten Rock Ballads EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 1:01 am

^Fock, I forgot HOTEL CALIFORNIA! I've been playing it on my ukulele every single night before I go to sleep for the past week, and I missed it....... In a paralel universe it'd also be in the top 3
Back to top Go down
Cheavy
Cheavy

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Rock Ballads   Top Ten Rock Ballads EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 2:27 am

I ran into the same problems. I'm never good with top tens; I quickly fill them up, and then there's the hard part of what makes the cut. I avoided re-picking your excellent choices, so we can have some variety...

1. One More F***ing Time - Motörhead
2. Let It Be - Beatles
3. Africa - Toto
4. Love Will Keep Us Alive - Scorpions
5. Right Here Waiting - Richard Marx
6. Poison - Alice Cooper
7. Nights In White Satin - Moody Blues
8. I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing - Aerosmith
9. American Pie - Don McLean
10. Broken - Seether (Feat. Amy Lee)

......Okay, so I might cheat a little here and add the ones that just barely didn't make the list. After all, ten is a small number...and there are SO many..
11. Dust In The Wind - Kansas
12. Love Bites - Def Leppard

....I better just stop here. I'm sure I'm forgetting some...and I didn't even get to the Bon Jovi... Whoa-ah, living on a prayer !
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Rock Ballads   Top Ten Rock Ballads EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 9:01 pm

That's a wonderful list... And I had Bon Jovi on my mind during the whole list creating time but in the end they somehow didn't end up on it....
Back to top Go down
Cheavy
Cheavy

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Rock Ballads   Top Ten Rock Ballads EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 4:40 am

^ In another parallel universe they did.
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Rock Ballads   Top Ten Rock Ballads EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 8:10 am

Indeed they did..
Back to top Go down
Radioactive
Royal Reviewer
Radioactive

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Rock Ballads   Top Ten Rock Ballads EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 10:53 pm

I completely agree with you Guys; this list Was really hard to create! And I have probably forgotten some songs... Anyways, here is My top ten:

1. Queen - The show must go on (I can almost say that this is the best song EVER made)
2. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
3. Lennon - Imagine
4. Eagles - Hotel California
5. Heart - Alone
6. Alice cooper - Poison
7. Ozzy - Dreamer
8. Green day - Good riddance (time of your life)
9. Skid row - 18 and life
10. Aerosmith - I don't wanna miss a thing

Like I Said, this Was extremly hard to do, but to fit every rock ballad that I love, I would probably need a top 300 list... Wink
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Rock Ballads   Top Ten Rock Ballads EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 10:34 pm

That's a nice list too^. I FORGOT ANOTHER ONE, one of my favs: I know some of you have heard it many times before 'cause of me :3
Back to top Go down
Lahm
Lahm

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Rock Ballads   Top Ten Rock Ballads EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 2:17 pm

Wow, now this took almost 2 hours to complete hahaha. The bright side is that I got material for like 4 or 5 more top 10  Razz 

Now after having like a top 30, I reduced it to 15, and now it's finally 10. Let's see!

1. Still Loving You - Scorpions
2. Kayleigh - Marillion
3. La Chispa Adecuada - Héroes del Silencio
4. Love Reign O'er Me - The Who
5. Perfect Day - Lou Reed
6. We Used to Know - Jethro Tull
7. Elton John - Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
8. A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum
9. More Than A Feeling - Boston
10. Black - Pearl Jam

Now let's explain this a little bit!

First spot doesn't needs much explaining at all, in my opinion the song that better captures the rock ballad/love rock ballad essence. Intro, lyrics, guitar solos and, of course, the chorus everybody knows and have tried to sing more or less successfully. Wow to be self-explanatory I sure wrote a lot.

Kayleigh is maybe my favorite rock ballad,  being a guitar player myself I really appreciate all the feeling and emotion Mr Steve Rothery puts into the solo, and even the starting riff! Not the most skilled guitar player out there, but certainly knows how to make you feel like the song is intended to.

The Héroes del Silencio song may be a little hyped but I really think has all the elements that make a good rock ballad, and it's one of my personal favorites. I see I'm getting far too long in these descriptions so I'll keep it short. 4 and 5 were easy choices, I like The Who's better so that's why it's over Lou's.

I have to admit that I profoundly dislike The Eagles, including Hotel California (not when sung by The Gipsy Kings which gets you into The Big Lebowski's vibe). Given that situation, I choose We Used to Know, which is very similar to Hotel california (too similar if you ask Ian Anderson :p) but overall a better song in my opinion, given the flute solo, the singing quality and also the songwritting ability of Ian.

The Elton John had to be there given it's one of my all time favorite songs, A Whiter Shade of Pale and More Than a Feeling are two songs that fit the rock ballad description so well they were the first that came to my mind when making the list (after Still Loving You). And finally, Eddie Vedder singing in Black (strongly recommended is the Live at Pinkpop '92 version) is enough for me to get the song into the list! Wow such a chat I'll keep it shorter in following occasions.

Also, I left behind many songs as we all did Sad Mainly these

The Cure (Too many I couldn't choose)
Who Wants to Live Forever - Queen
Nightswimming - R.E.M.
Rush - Tears
Heroes - David Bowie
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Rock Ballads   Top Ten Rock Ballads EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 11:23 pm

Well that's a great list as well. I love Perfect Day.. And that Queen song didn't make it into my top list either but wasn't far behind. I also had REM on my mind but the Everybody hurts song.
Back to top Go down
Lahm
Lahm

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Rock Ballads   Top Ten Rock Ballads EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 12:41 am

Yeah I had a hard time leaving R.E.M. out too but it has to be top 10! hahaha
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Rock Ballads   Top Ten Rock Ballads EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 12:13 pm

Hehe, and I saw Pearl Jam this summer - a concert rev coming up for sure..!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Rock Ballads   Top Ten Rock Ballads Empty

Back to top Go down

Top Ten Rock Ballads
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Reviews :: Reviews :: Music :: Top Lists-
Jump to: