The Reviews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Review and read others' reviews - about movies, TV-series, books, music albums, concerts, games - to give and get advice on what's considered good or bad.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Top Five Authors

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

Top Five Authors  Empty
PostSubject: Top Five Authors    Top Five Authors  EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 11:14 pm

Who are your top five authors and why?

Back to top Go down
https://thereviews.forumotion.com
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

Top Five Authors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Five Authors    Top Five Authors  EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 11:32 pm

Unfortunately I haven't really read that much novels ('cause I don't feel like including school course required reading here... You go ahead).

My top two isn't hard.

1. Chuck Palahniuk
The author of Choke, Fight Club, Haunted, Damned, Rant and many more.
What I love about Pahalaniuk is his sarcy ironic way of being utterly honest and clear about the way we live our lifes. He's sharp and doesn't mind making you feel slightly nauseous when reading. I think much of what he says is liberating to hear because it screams out what I and surely many more is thinking. I have several of his books and they're all very unique and different, both when it comes to the storylines and from whose perspective they're written, but they all still have that dark and sharp satire which I love.

2. Jonas Karlsson
A fav Swedish actor of mine who has written a few short story books. What I really like about Karlsson as a writer is that he give perspective of the everyday life and everyday situations but with a slight twist. Some of the short stories make me as a reader feel freaked out, embarrassed, disappointed, curious, satisfied, exhausted (and more) on behalf of the person in the story, because it's written so close to earth it feels liek this could happen to you. Still with a dark and sometimes slightly tragic comedic touch to it.    

I have a few more authors in mind but I want to make my mind up before telling you about them first, so I'll get back to you on those.
Back to top Go down
Lahm
Lahm

Top Five Authors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Five Authors    Top Five Authors  EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 12:11 am

Nice! I'm not a big reader either, I'm positively encouraged by my girlfriend how is such a book lover and keeps recommending me good stuff. I don't know if I could actually come with a top 5 of favorite writers, but I can certainly try! I'll let it settle in my head hahaha
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

Top Five Authors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Five Authors    Top Five Authors  EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 12:16 am

Well, just try to list the five authors you have actually read - wouldn't be fair to require favourites from you when the rest of my list hardly can be called favs as I don't have that much to compare with.
Back to top Go down
Radioactive
Royal Reviewer
Radioactive

Top Five Authors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Five Authors    Top Five Authors  EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 12:22 am

I used to read a lot when I was younger - but nowdays I barely read books at all. Which is really a shame, I truly need to get better at that. But I still have my favourite authors - and here they are:

1. Holly Black

Author of The curse workers book trilogy, tithe, spiderwick and many more books.
Now how do I even begin to explain why I love Holly so much... First of all, I admire her creativity and imagination. If there has ever been a completely unique and original idea for a story: Holly has it. And it's not only her stories that are unique - here characters are to. What also impresses me is how she can go from writing in a very dark style that truly makes you feel uncomfortable to writing in a very light, "fluffy", cute style... If that makes any sense Smile Wink My favorite book from her is absolutely The curse workers trilogy; I really recommend that one!

2. Stephen Chbosky

I'm not really sure if I can count Chbosky as an favourite writer, since I've only read The perks of being a wallflower... But I just HAD to include him on this list, since The perks of being a wallflower has truly become one of my favorite books ever. The simple way it's written is just great, cause there is still a lot of deep and emotion in the book. When you read what it's about it may sound like the typical high school-teenager book - but believe me, it's not. Have you ever felt like you were that kid in school who wasn't popular or the geek really, you were just there? Well, if you do, you will definitely recognize yourself in the main character (well, not in everything about him, but a lot).

3. J.R. Ward

J.R. Ward is the author of the fallen angels series and the black dagger brotherhood serie.
What I love about J.R. Ward is that she, just like Black, has some truly unique and original ideas. And while some female writers have a hard time writing a male character (and the other way around - a male writer having a hard time writing a female character) - she has no trouble with that at all. It's extremely believable. And come on - a whole serie of books about ANGELS and DEMONS? I'ts a MUST-Read!

4. Fredrik Lindblom

So, Fredrik Lindblom is a swedish writer that has written two fantasy books (that sadly haven't been translated into english). In swedish, they are called Röd skymning and Dödens trubadur. That probably doesn't say a lot to you guys, but I don't dare to translate the titles, since I know it will sound horrible, haha... Anyway, the books are fantasy books that are set in a world that the author has created, Ascentoria. I've actually gotten to read the second book before it was published - which was such a cool thing to be able to do Very Happy

5. Darren Shan

Darren Shan is mainly known for The Saga of Darren Shan. After the saga, he wrote The Saga of Larten Crepsley, a story about one of the characters from The Saga of Darren Shan.
Tbh, I'm not really a fan of his writing style (at least not in the first books). In my opinion, it feels pretty sloppy and childish (and not in a good way). Although, his writing style developes a lot through the books - and the The Saga of Larten Crepsley is absolutely magnificent.
Tbh, both these series are the most original and unique vampire books I ever read. Even though the writing style is sloppy and not really good in the beginning - it's worth reading all the 12 books (plus 4 books in The Saga of Larten Crepsley).
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

Top Five Authors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Five Authors    Top Five Authors  EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 12:34 am

^Fun to see that list, I've heard you talk about them all. Does the cutse workers trilogi include the white cat? I didn't know she was the one who wrote spiderwick, that's interesting as I remember it was quite popular many years ago.

Oh and don't be modest, we've even met and talked for a couple of hour with Redvik Lindblom, and I'll do everybody the honour: "Red Sunset" and "The troubadour of Death". Smile

Back to top Go down
Radioactive
Royal Reviewer
Radioactive

Top Five Authors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Five Authors    Top Five Authors  EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 12:39 am

Yes, the trilogy includes: The white cat, Red Glove, and Black heart. If I had to choose a favorite, I think I would have to say Red Glove. But all three are truly amazing Very Happy

Me to! Although, I've heard that the movies aren't to good. Haven't seen any of them though...

Heh, oh yeah, that meeting... Gosh, I remember how nervous I was, haha. Great translations btw! Very Happy I truly hope that he translates the book into english one day!
Back to top Go down
Lahm
Lahm

Top Five Authors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Five Authors    Top Five Authors  EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 12:45 am

Now this is weird, I'd have sworn that I posted a reply minutes ago, looks like my network connection went on holiday... I said that I didn't recognize any of the authors which is such a shame actually! I feel like I could like reading something from Lindblom, how come his work hasn't been translated to English, isn't he wellknown in Sweden? Also, how come you got to read his book before it was published? That sounds lie the starting point of a very interesting story!
Back to top Go down
Radioactive
Royal Reviewer
Radioactive

Top Five Authors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Five Authors    Top Five Authors  EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 5:55 pm

No, sadly, he is not that well-known. I hope he will be one day though Smile
Well, I don't know if it's interesting, but it all started when I, about five years ago, read his book and e-mailed him about a few questions I had about the characters, the world etc. I wasn't really expecting him to answer, so when I got an e-mail back I was pretty surprised, to say the least. We started writing to each other, and after a while he sent me a copy of his first book (Red Sunset) that I had read (I had borrowed it form the library when I read it the first time). A copy that was signed AND came with 10 illustrations from the book (the book has pictures in it, yes, you can check them out here on the artists Deviantart page: http://takaya.deviantart.com/gallery/28931983/Ascentoria ) ... That was a pretty awesome start to that summer Very Happy

After that, we talked a little about the second book. And if I remember correctly, he simply asked me one day if I would like to be one of the few people who reads and comments the book before it's published. I said yes, of course, and got a "script" version of the book. It took a while, a year or two, before the final book was published though. Although, it was worth it. The book was amazing, my name (!!) is on the "Thank you" page along with the others who read and commented the book, and just like the first book, it's signed Smile So yeah, I think that's the whole story, I'm pretty sure I didn't forget anything!
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

Top Five Authors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Five Authors    Top Five Authors  EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 6:02 pm

... Except from the part when we actually travelled five hour to meet him in person? Oh but that's another story I guess.
Back to top Go down
Radioactive
Royal Reviewer
Radioactive

Top Five Authors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Five Authors    Top Five Authors  EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 1:18 am

RockRosen wrote:
... Except from the part when we actually travelled five hour to meet him in person? Oh but that's another story I guess.

Haha yepp, a whole other story Wink
Back to top Go down
Lahm
Lahm

Top Five Authors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Five Authors    Top Five Authors  EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 5:16 pm

Radioactive wrote:
No, sadly, he is not that well-known. I hope he will be one day though Smile
Well, I don't know if it's interesting, but it all started when I, about five years ago, read his book and e-mailed him about a few questions I had about the characters, the world etc. I wasn't really expecting him to answer, so when I got an e-mail back I was pretty surprised, to say the least. We started writing to each other, and after a while he sent me a copy of his first book (Red Sunset) that I had read (I had borrowed it form the library when I read it the first time). A copy that was signed AND came with 10 illustrations from the book (the book has pictures in it, yes, you can check them out here on the artists Deviantart page: http://takaya.deviantart.com/gallery/28931983/Ascentoria ) ... That was a pretty awesome start to that summer Very Happy

After that, we talked a little about the second book. And if I remember correctly, he simply asked me one day if I would like to be one of the few people who reads and comments the book before it's published. I said yes, of course, and got a "script" version of the book. It took a while, a year or two, before the final book was published though. Although, it was worth it. The book was amazing, my name (!!) is on the "Thank you" page along with the others who read and commented the book, and just like the first book, it's signed Smile So yeah, I think that's the whole story, I'm pretty sure I didn't forget anything!

Well that's quite a story! So good you actually helped him with his second book, reviewing/re-writing is really a great deal for writers, I know one who told me so!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Top Five Authors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Five Authors    Top Five Authors  Empty

Back to top Go down

Top Five Authors
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Reviews :: Reviews :: Text :: Top Lists-
Jump to: