The Reviews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Review and read others' reviews - about movies, TV-series, books, music albums, concerts, games - to give and get advice on what's considered good or bad.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) Empty
PostSubject: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptySat Nov 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) Marvel-logo
Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) DC-Heroes

Film adaptions of the Marvel and DC Comics.

Review the ones you've seen! Do you overall prefer DC or Marvel?

Marvel
Captain America (1944)
Howard the duck (1986)
The Punisher (1989)
Captain America (1990)
Nick Fury (1998)
Blade (1998)
X-Men (2000)
Blade II (2002)
Spider-Man (2002)
Daredevil (2003)
X-Men 2 (2003)
Hulk (2003)
The Punisher (2004)
Spider-Man 2 (2004)
Blade: Trinity (2004)
Elektra (2005)
Fantastic Four (2005)
X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
Ghost Rider (2007)
Spider-Man 3 (2007)
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)
Iron Man (2008)
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
Punisher: War Zone (2008)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
Iron Man 2 (2010)
Thor (2011)
X-Men: First Class (2011)
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2012)
The Avengers (2012)
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
Iron Man 3 (2013)
The Wolverine (2013)
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
The Fantastic Four (2015)
Ant-Man (2015)
Under produktion

Deadpool (2016)
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)
Doctor Strange (2016)
The Sinister Six (2016)
Wolverine 3 (2017)
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017)
The Fantastic Four 2 (2017)
Thor: Ragnarök (2017)
Black Panther (2017)
Avengers: Infinity War - Part 1 (2018)
Captain Marvel (2018)
Inhumans (2018)
The Amazing Spider-Man 3 (2018)
Avengers: Infinity War - Part 2 (2019)

DC
Superman and the Mole Men (1951)
Batman (1966)[12]
Doc Savage The Man of Bronze (1975)
Superman - The Movie (Superman, 1978)
Superman II – Äventyret fortsätter (Superman II, 1980)
Träskmannen (Swamp Thing, 1982)
Stålmannen går på en krypto-nit (Superman III, 1983)
Supergirl (1984)
Stålmannen i kamp för freden (Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, 1987)
The Return of Swamp Thing (1989)
Batman (1989)
Batman - Återkomsten (Batman Returns, 1992)
Batman Forever (1995)
Steel (1997)
Batman & Robin (1997)
Road to Perdition (2002)
The League (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, 2003)
Catwoman (2004)
A History of Violence (2005)
Constantine (2005)
Batman Begins (2005)
V för Vendetta (2006)
Superman Returns (2006)
Stardust (2007)
The Spirit (2008)
The Dark Knight (2008)
Watchmen (2009)
Jonah Hex (2010)
RED (2010)
The Losers (2010)
The Green Lantern (2011)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Man of Steel (2013)
RED 2 (2013)

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Suicide Squad (2016)
Justice League Part One (2017)
Wonder Woman (2017)
The Flash (2018)
Aquaman (2018)
Shazam (2019)
Justice League Part Two (2019)
Cyborg (2020)
Green Lantern-reboot (2020)

source: sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_över_filmer_baserade_på_Marvel_Comics
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_%C3%B6ver_filmer_baserade_p%C3%A5_DC_Comics

Back to top Go down
https://thereviews.forumotion.com
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptySun Nov 23, 2014 1:43 am

Oh Marvel, Marvel Marvel... and DC... Where should I begin?

The movies I've rewatched most times in my life so far are the movie adapted Marvel Comics X-men. I honestly don't know hoe many times I've watch the X-men movies since they first came out (first one in 2000), same goes for DC's The Dark Knight trilogy starring Bale. Every single time it's been with the feeling that this is spectacular.

Other favs from these lists are the Spiderman (not the amazing), Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Thor and Avengers movies, and I think the Wolverine movies goes without saying. The League, Constantine and V for Vendetta.

What I love about these movies is that they're unrealistic in a realistic way. They're dramatic, powerful, funny and let you into a world that's like a 5 dimensional version of our. I'ma start to review my favourites: X-Men and Wolverine, The Dark Knight and Iron Man. Join me.  
Back to top Go down
Radioactive
Royal Reviewer
Radioactive

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptySun Nov 23, 2014 8:40 pm

To be honest I have always wanted to love the film adaptions to the Marvel comics. I really have, and I have truly tried - but I just can't. I'm not saying that I don't like any of them - heck, I love X-Men: First Class (and who doesn't love Spiderman <3) - but the other ones I've seen... I can't really say that the majority of the ones I've seen are more then okay. Then again, I haven't seen that many Marvel movies, but the ones I have seen... No, I'm not overly impressed by them (even though I want to be).

Although, I am a lot more impressed when it comes to the DC movie adaptions. As a Christopher Nolan fan I wasn't really disappointed when I saw Man of Steel - it's not my favorite movie, but it's a really good one! And oh, how I loved V for Vendetta. Can't tell you how many times I've seen it.
The Batman franchise by Nolan is great as well (have only seen the first two though) - The Joker is the best villain I have ever seen on screen. I was truly blown away by Heath Ledger as The Joker. Although, I do have a small problem with Batman, since I don't like Christian Bale at all... But let's save that story for another time Wink

Just like the Marvel movies, I haven't seen so many DC movies. But I would say that I have seen enough to say that I think that the DC movies are better. There's just something about those movies that makes me feel like they have a lot more depth, story and emotions in them. They have taken the action part and put it in the movie - but they haven't forgotten about other things that movies need to have to be great. And they aren't shallow, which I can get the feeling of that some Marvel movies are. (Again, this isn't about all DC and Marvel movies of course - there are bad DC movies as well as there are great Marvel movies. But in general, I prefer DC).
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptySun Nov 23, 2014 11:37 pm

Ok Radioactive. I've taken a deep breath and now I'm going to say what I've collected strength enough to say for the last hour: I respect your opinion. But (and we all know what that word means don't we) if you can't see the amazing depth and story and emotions in the Marvel movies, you haven't really watched the Marvel movies.

There. Wink

Nolan is superb, and I couldn't enjoy the cast of The dark knight more: Bale, Ledger and Cillian Murphy! As it's my favourite DC movie, I have no objections on that atm.

The Marvel movies generally have a more superhero kind of style though, at least that's the feeling I get, while DC only really have Batman, Superman and Catwoman(?). The rest is far more subtle and doesn't scream DC, does it. When you're watching a Marvel movie, there's no doubt you're watching a Marvel production, in a good way that is. Maybe with the exception of Ghost Rider. They're pretty much all connected and that's a cool story to begin with; all of these lifes being connected and a part of a bigger thing. If you've seen the Avengers you've seen a glance of Iron Man, Thor, Nick Fury, Captain America, Hulk (I could continue). Iron Man and his father is in the Captain America movies, Thor, Fury and the Hulk is in the Iron Man movie and so on. X-men and Wolverine is a wonderful creation of their own, but still in the same universe and era as the rest. Always down to earth what comes to following history - the civil war, WW2 etc.

I'm gonna give you an example by starting off with reviewing one of my three fav characters from Marvel; Wolverine and Iron Man; to demonstrate the story, depth and emotions of these Marvel productions (they do not pay me).  

Story, depth and emotion Spoiler alert.
Both Wolverine and Iron man show eras of this planet, how humans are facing challenges, personal ones and collective ones and trying to achieve peace (but that's nothing new, that's what every movie is about - well true, because it reflects life = 1 point to depth).  

IRON MAN

Anthony "Tony" Stark (Iron Man) is a billionaire and playboy who has got every material thing he wants thanks to his father's business which he took over at the age of 21 after his father had died when Stark was still a teenager. He never got much attention from his father, who'd never said he loved or even liked him. Stark himself has trouble getting good relationships as he's very narcissistic. He's working on it, but taking utterly small steps. He's also a genius when it comes to physics, which makes it possible for him to create Iron Man - which he does in order to escape from a hostage situation in a country he was demonstrating his company's weapons in (he ran a weapons manufactory at this moment). He'd never cared to actually care about how his weapons affected people, specially civilian ones, until when he now got to see it himself.

(Woops, wrong vid, here's the one:)

This is a breaking point for the otherwise self obsessed man who probably only thought about making money and be famous before that. Well he's still thinking about being famous, as he reveals himself as Iron Man. I think it's powerful and humane to see such a powerful man (thanks to his money and intelligence) make a complete turn like that but still hold on to his persona. His narcissistic ways never disappears which makes me appreciate the consistency of his character, but the baby steps that he's making still show signs of realistic humane nature. Iron Man 3 is supposed to take place after the events of the Avengers, and Stark suffers from severe anxiety attacks through out the movie as a result of what he went through in the Avengers, not only with the scene as I've posted below, but as he says in the movie: he still struggles with the thought that there's aliens out there and his world was turned up side down 'cause of this.

Stark is surrounded by his ever so loyal love interest "Pepper", who is his secretary/boss depending on movie, and best friend Rhodes, who is the colonel in charge of the American military's weapon section. They all care for one another but doesn't always have the same opinions on stuff (more important stuff than which is better of DC and Marvel Wink ).  

Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) IronMan_Pepper_Rhodes

For me, Iron Man is the story of a man who has everything and nothing. It's the story of how you can't change who you are, but how you can change what you're choosing to do as the one you are.

Wolverine needs a full post of his own, in the end he's my true hero - and his lifetime has a bit more to demonstrate than Stark. He has, as one of the creators said: "earned his darkness". Stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
Radioactive
Royal Reviewer
Radioactive

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 12:50 am

Haha, I appreciate that RR, and I respect yours as well! And I want to start with saying that I do agree with you - when you watch a Marvel movie, you definitely know that it's a Marvel movie! No one can deny that, and yes, the Marvel movies have more of a superhero style. It's also like you said - In the Marvel movies - the superheroes feel like a group, they're connected - while in the DC movies, it feels like the heroes stand on their own. They do that in the Marvel movies as well of course - but not in the same way.

What I don't like about a lot of Marvel movies is the fact that they are often predictable, I especially felt that with The Avengers. It just felt predictable, a bit boring, and one of the worst things a movie can make you feel - it felt to long! Which, for me, is not a good sign. The movie is actually only 2 hours and 23 minutes - but I think that it felt way longer.

Another problem I had with the Avengers was Loki. When you have a villain in a movie, especially a villain that is up against 6 bad ass superheroes, he/she has to be amazing, just as amazing, or even more, amazing then the superheroes themselves. Simply because the villain is the thing that they are fighting, the villain is the problem that the superheroes have to solve, the focus in the movie.
Loki was anything but amazing. He was dorky and I never felt like he was actually powerful. A villain needs to make the audience feel like he is powerful and dangerous - that's the villains job. Personally I liked the superheroes way more then Loki - which is sort of okay, to a certain limit - not to the limit where you completely forget about the villain and just sigh when you see him on screen (Yes, that is how I felt about Loki).

In the middle of my negativity though - I have to share this scene; a scene where the movie actually made me go "Holy shit, I really like this scene!" But at the same time as I liked it; I could have liked it SO much more! If the character Loki had only convinced me more before that he truly is powerful and dangerous. If I were to put a villain that I actually feel is powerful and dangerous (the first one that comes to mind is the Joker) in this scene; I know that it would have touched me a million times more, simply because in The dark knight, The Joker convinces you from the moment he is shown on screen that he is the villain, that he is dangerous and powerful. Loki doesn't do that at all in my opinon.
Still though, one of the best scenes in the movie!

Maybe that's what I feel with a lot of characters from the Marvel movies - they don't convince me. And if a character doesn't convince me - I give up on him/her pretty fast.

And before I quit talking about Avengers - I just have to mention Black Widow and Hawkeye - Are they really serious with these characters? Did they seriously put these two characters beside a group of truly powerful superheroes? Beside Thor? Iron man? The Hulk? Gosh, don't they see how it makes Black Widow and Hawkeye look? I'm sorry, I just had to get that out of my system.

What I do find funny about myself is that I feel like I dislike The Avengers (now I'm referring to all the superheroes and their movies, not the movie Avengers) much more then I dislike X-Men. I can't actually say why that is. Maybe it's simply because I like X-men more, or maybe it's something more to it. If I figure something out, I'll let you know.

Sadly, I don't remember much of Iron Man, and I haven't seen Iron Man 2 or 3 (or maybe I have, but if that's the case - it's been a while). So I don't feel like I can say to much about it and be fair - I'll have to rewatch and watch them and then I'll get back to you!

What I can say now tough, is that the thing about his anxiety attacks, that they are a result of what he went through in the Avengers - sounds really interesting actually. I love it when movies tie things up together like that! They do that in the Hunger Games franchise as well - but I'm not going to say anything more about that here, don't wanna spoil!

Althogh, there is a problem in that. And the problem is that in the Avengers - they didn't make me feel a lot for basically any of the characters. I didn't care a lot about any of them tbh, and I feel like that can destroy this thing with the fact that they want to make you feel for Stark in Iron Man 3. Although, at the same time, it can also be so that Iron Man 3 is a movie strong enough on it's own, so strong that the lack of feels in the Avengers don't matter. I'll just have to see for myself.

One thing that I also have to say about movies in general: movies can have depth, emotions and story. They can have a bunch of it, but none of it matters if the movie doesn't show it in the right way to the audience. A movie can have so much emotions and depth in it and a really important message and meaning - but if you can't translate those emotions, that depth, that message and that meaning in a good way: it doesn't matter. The movie won't be good, even if you have all of those things. That is, for me, one of the huge challenges with movies - I always want to find one who has all of those things in it - but who can show them to me in a unique and good way.
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 1:14 am

Well they aren't any more or less predictable than any other movie that say, DC, has made are they? Wink

I didn't think the movie felt that long. But I guess Avengers requires one to look into the other movies (such as Thor, Iron Man etc) to actually get a deeper understanding and connection to the characters. And specially Thor as the story of why Loke does what he does and acts like he does is being explained there. I agree that Loke isn't a super villain that is strong enough of a character to level up against the others (and there is a reason I said "I could continue" but didn't when lining up the characters in Avengers. Black Widow appears in Iron Man as well though as a member of Shield alongside Nick Fury and I guess they just had to increase the number of females on the screen to begin with)... If it makes you happier, in the next Avengers movie (which I'm looking forward to very much actually - April 24rd!) the enemy will be a creation of Mr Stark himself.

X-Men isn't just about a main character and the people surrounding him/her. X-Men is the story of people - of human race; mutants and homo sapiens. And how they keep going back to compare their situation with WW2 is made in a very apposite way. It's about fitting in - in every possible way, and the consequences when this isn't made possible.  

Well, I think that if a movie can't mediate its story, depth or emotion, it doesn't have one. It might be the creators intentions for it to have it, but it we can't actually feel it, then it's just not there. Or it's just so individual that none of us have the right to say it's really there or not.  

Spoiler of Iron Man 3. Speaking of predictable, eh.

Back to top Go down
Radioactive
Royal Reviewer
Radioactive

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 1:36 am

Well, depends on what movie you look at... Wink But true, DC has a lot of predicable movies as well.

Yeah, I figured it did that. And in a way, I think it's sad that it does - cause I wanted to be able to sit down, watch the movie and get a decent understanding and connection to the characters. I wanted it to be a movie that could stand on it's own in that way - although I do understand why it isn't.
Well that does sound much more interesting! If I have to choose a favorite between the heroes - Stark is definitely in the top! I'm assuming he's your favorite as well? Wink

Maybe that's one of the reason I like it more, the thing you just wrote about X-men!

I think that every movie has it - but like you said, it's so individual. That's why there aren't really any rights or wrongs when it comes to movies - it's so individual, so you can't really say that ones opinion is right or wrong in general. And of course it's not only like that with movies.

A little random thought, but I feel like this topic, or something similar to it, would be really interesting in a podcast... Wink
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 1:52 am

Yeah, agreed.

Mhm, he most certainly is. Smile

Indeed I thought so as well (about the podcast topic idea). You could represent DC and I Marvel Wink Or we'd just talk about heroes in general. But then you wouldn't be able to talk about V for Vendetta really and I know that's what you want isn't it.

Back to top Go down
Radioactive
Royal Reviewer
Radioactive

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 2:01 am

Oooh, great idea with representing the two of them!
Haha well, I can't deny that really... Wink but I Could be okay with not talking about it actually.
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 2:11 am

If we go with DC vs Marvel, you can talk about it as much as you want Smile
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 11:15 pm

Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 11:30 pm

Back to top Go down
ATrix112524
Reviewer
ATrix112524

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 2:32 am

This topic has been debated for so long. I like both sides, but lean toward DC. Wink
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Batman vs Superman coming up (both DC), what do you think about that one? A start to bring Justice League together?
Back to top Go down
Radioactive
Royal Reviewer
Radioactive

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 12:44 pm

The only thing I love about Batman vs Superman is that with that movie, we are one step closer to the movie Suicide squad... I heard some rumor that The Joker was going to be in Batman vs Superman, in just a scene or so in the end, and that they're going to release Suicide squad after that... I really hope he is, cause something tells me he would be one of the best things in the movie...! (And yes, it's because of the horrible casting in Batman vs Superman).
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 12:54 pm

Oh is suicide squad Joker's movie?
Back to top Go down
Radioactive
Royal Reviewer
Radioactive

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 1:06 pm

RockRosen wrote:
Oh is suicide squad Joker's movie?

Yes it is, Joker and a a lot of other DC villains ^^
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 1:25 pm

Ahh, nice. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)   Marvel & DC (the film adaptions) Empty

Back to top Go down

Marvel & DC (the film adaptions)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Reviews :: Reviews :: Movies/TV :: Movies-
Jump to: