The Reviews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Review and read others' reviews - about movies, TV-series, books, music albums, concerts, games - to give and get advice on what's considered good or bad.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion Empty
PostSubject: Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion   Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 1:55 pm

Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion 51nS5ELRgEL

About: Cheavy introduced me to this American rockband from LA, called Neon Horse. They were active between 2007-2009 and released two albums during that time, one in 2007, and this one in 2009. On Wikipedia it says:

Wikipedia wrote:
Neon Horse's sound has been described as a being influenced by the music of the 1980s.

and being a big fan of 80s music, this couldn't go wrong... or could it?

Listen: http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Haunted+Horse+Songs+Of+Love+Defiance+and+Delusion/3901991

Tracklist:
1. When daddy get's home
2. Strange town
3. Yer busy little beehvie
4. Follow the man
5. Some folks
6. Haven't sinned in years!
7. Cell O-Phone
8. Chain gang, bang bang
9. Comin' up Theventh
10. I don't need anything

My rev:

It's not often it happens, so when it does it feels all particular. An immediate realisation as soon as the first song starts playing, and I just know that I'm gonna be obsessed by this sound for a while to come. It's a bit like when you walk into a store or a flea market and see something that captures you, because it's different from all the other crap around you, not necessarily in a distinctive way but in a way that makes you feel like it connects with you in a personal way. I've listened to this second album of Neon Horse close to a dozen times now, plus their other album which I found a bit different but just as attractive, if not even more appealing.

The music and vocals remind me of a mix between Marilyn Manson, The Hives, Royal Republic and at times even Depeche Mode. Well that's what I'm hearing anyway, if they're the main ingredients there's also some hints of Eminem craziness (as in Chain Bang) and Infinite Mass playfulness, and something else which I haven't localised yet. It's a possibility I've mixed their two albums up with each other a bit though, and The Hives sound comes out more clearly in the other album, specially in the first song "Cuckoo!".

The latest artist I felt like this for was Puscifer. Before that it was Marilyn Manson himself so you can imagine it doesn't happen very often. Thank you for introducing me to this Cheavs. As with the defected vase I last bought at a flea market it might not be a general or technical beauty, but for me personally I wouldn't want anything else and it gets so much more beautiful than the other things in the room

Some lines that have stood out so far (as there'll be more listenings for sure):

Strange town: We've got all the time in the world (Clearly Depeche Mode, eh?)

I dont't need anything: I don't need, I don't need anything~

Some folks: No one says much but they talk all night, I'm going where the noise is mine

Queen of Sheba!
Back to top Go down
https://thereviews.forumotion.com
Cheavy
Cheavy

PostSubject: Re: Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion   Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 1:01 am

I had a similar experience to your listen, RR. On first note, I knew I found something I was going to love and listen to for a long time. And then best way to describe that is your great analogy, the one thing at the flea market that catches your eye; not in the pretty, polished way, but how its uniqueness shines in your own eyes on a personal level.

I think you're on to something with the many references to the lyricists/ music.. At first I had no idea what to compare them to, I heard so many things. But I do hear some Depeche Mode, as with other 80s vibes with their heavy synths and such.. in fact, they sound like they can be all those you mention and more.. which really makes it really cool, cause I hear something different every time in both the vocals and music..I also really enjoy the heavy thick toned guitars and bluesy feels and off the wall songs like, Chang Gang.. Ah, the whole thing turned out to be such a great fun combo.. I've even picked up a slight Ozzy tone/vibe in Strange Town. It's a crazy, but a neat musical adventure for sure!

From a review I've read: It’s like someone took the highway rock anthems of Steppenwolf, BTO, and ZZ Top and mixed them with the zany synth pop of Soft Cell, Devo, and David Bowie. This album is one of those that will stick with you for a long time.

"You be the Queen Of Sheba/ I’ll be the Ghengis Chaka Khan/ You be the wickedest witch/ I’ll be the big bad Don Juan" I just love love the unique quirkiness, the hint of darkness in the lyrics!!

((Gosh, I feel like I'm reviewing your review.. but I'm glad I could introduce you to this, RR. ))

And speaking of lyrics, apparently this band is labeled as Christian music given they are singed to a Christian music label. I'm wondering if it's at all reflected or noticed in the lyrics? The Devil is mentioned in a few songs, but I never thought it obvious in the traditional Christian music sense. I'm also wondering if there's an underling story; a few times I've read that there are mentions to "Where The Wild Things Are"

Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion   Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion EmptyTue Aug 05, 2014 11:34 am

Haha, reviews of reviews, fits "The Reviewer" if anywhere...! Wink

Oh I didn't know about the Christian label, although I have a feeling we've discussed it before.. I haven't read through the lyrics that carefully to have made any obvious connections to Christianity.. ANd still, if it was - I don't really get the point of being labeled as a Christian band that plays Christian music, just listen to the lyrics and make your own interpretion and even ppl who are not into Christianity can listen to it without defining it as something religious, I don't see the point in that. Like with Skillet... Reading the plot to the Where the Wold things Are, I could imagine Neon Horse's music reflecting it in a way, just by the sound of it. Queen of Sheba is the song being played in my head while reading it...
Back to top Go down
Cheavy
Cheavy

PostSubject: Re: Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion   Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 1:20 am

Mmhm, I believe we have before.. But you're right; no point in labels really. So albeit an interesting fact, at the end of the day, Christian (or any religion for that matter) or not, if you can simply enjoy the music and lyrics, it's a total win for everyone.
Back to top Go down
RockRosen
Admin
RockRosen

PostSubject: Re: Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion   Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 12:01 am

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion   Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion Empty

Back to top Go down

Neon Horse - Haunted Horse: songs of love, defiance & delusion
Page 1 of 1